Steve Kimock Discussion :: View topic - Baseball signs
Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index

Steve Kimock Discussion
The Official Steve Kimock Discussion Group

www.Kimock.com

Buy Steve Kimock's New CD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Baseball signs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Performance and Improvisation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Baseball signs Reply with quote

Jake Cinninger, of Umphrey’s McGee, was quoted in Guitar World (Oct 2004), saying,

Quote:
We have ‘baseball signs’—15 or 16 signals to go somewhere in the next bar, be it a tempo change or key shift. Then we listen back to all our shows and search for ‘Legos’—song building blocks, which could be two bars or 24, and fit them together with other Legos to make compositions.

So, does SKB have baseball signs?

During shows, I do find myself watching for communication signals between band members. Of course, if there are truly baseball signs, then they probably wouldn't be shared with everyone.
kimock

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, SKB does not have baseball signs, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha tee hee chortle snort!?&'(#*&$ Whew wow no, we just listen to each other and try not to fuck it up.
Lee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow, I knew that was true. It is fun to watch when things do switch around, like changing to a reggae beat then back again. I didn't think you had signals. But, you do seem communicate with each other, the old fashioned musical way.

P.S. Thanks for signing the poster in Cambridge.
zoooombiex

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread ... but I'm pretty sure I've seen and read that MMW will use hand signals for stuff like key changes -- eg, three fingers up means three sharps, two down means two flats.
alans

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zappa and Miles both used to use hand signals extensively, but more for the feel of a groove than something like time signatures or key changes. FZ used to change up the guitar solo sections, one night using a reggae feel, and another night inserting some silly pop song groove, and things like that. Somewhere on the web are pages describing the hand signals used by each of them (FZ and Miles), but since I'm not at home now I can't post a link to them. FZ's were pretty plain hand signals, and Miles' were more motion-oriented. Pretty cool, I thought. I haven't done anything that spontaneous, but I've changed up the groove on a few songs from gig to gig, which can make for some interesting results (the first time it happened, it was because the drummer forgot which song I had asked for a second-line beat to, and it was a cool surprise).

alan
Crandles

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Frank Zappa's book The Real Frank Zappa Book he talks about things like if he acts like he's grabbing his balls then the band takes it as a que to play more metalish aswell as some of his other signals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Performance and Improvisation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: