Steve Kimock Discussion :: View topic - Moving beyond "rock" guitar
Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index

Steve Kimock Discussion
The Official Steve Kimock Discussion Group

www.Kimock.com

Buy Steve Kimock's New CD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Chat Users Currently Chatting

Moving beyond "rock" guitar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Performance and Improvisation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7aintenough

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Moving beyond "rock" guitar Reply with quote

My playing is at the crossroads of the archetypal rock guitarists conundrum, I can play zeppelin songs I can solo fairly stereotypicaly and I can tap. NOw my choices appear to be, fade away slowly eventually succumbing to the urge to buy a strat and a marshall maybe improve my speed a little and wale on my wammy bar until I die, or i can seek new horizons new things to learn and acomplish and break the mold [ala you know who]. So what I'm basically asking for folks is a list of your ideas on what "rock" guitarists can do to spice up their playing, for my sake try and be specific. THanks a lot
57tele

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if I could really play Led Zepellin tunes well, I might leave well enough alone and retire while I'm ahead.

As to your question, one of many possible places to start is to avoid playing anything that you can't sing while breathing comfortably. Even your basic rock licks can sound pretty different applying that idea.
teakwoodbetz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my conclusions after coming across the very same thought processes have been study jazz, listen to jazz, play jazz, and play with other ppl. the last one being the fastest way of learning new stuff and broadening horizons. i have an easy time doing this becuase i go to a huge school right now, but ive met a lot of really interesting and helpful people just dicking around at guitar center and used music shops. jamming is a really easy way to work on form and soloing at the same time
kimock

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Moving beyond "rock" guitar Reply with quote

7aintenough wrote:
My playing is at the crossroads of the archetypal rock guitarists conundrum, I can play zeppelin songs I can solo fairly stereotypicaly and I can tap. NOw my choices appear to be, fade away slowly eventually succumbing to the urge to buy a strat and a marshall maybe improve my speed a little and wale on my wammy bar until I die, or i can seek new horizons new things to learn and accomplish and break the mold [ala you know who]. So what I'm basically asking for folks is a list of your ideas on what "rock" guitarists can do to spice up their playing, for my sake try and be specific. Thanks a lot

If I were to try and be specific, we would just wind up with giant laundry lists of miscellaneous concepts, probably creating more confusion than anything else, so let me just say this: The mechanism for change is awareness. That's all. If you're just aware that you want to move beyond where you're at, just conscious of it and that's all, every day you'll move beyond it. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen a little bit every day. You can't will the unknown to do your bidding. You can't push the river. Just know that you can decide to change and change will come with no other effort.
Scarlet>Fire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whenever i start playing only one style of music i pick a different style(jazz, funk, bluegrass) and obesess over it for about 2 weeks, or a cool thiing to do is sit down with an album and figure out a song that isnt played on guitar. one time i figured out part of pharoh's dance off of bitches brew. that was kinda weird, but when you learn music for a different insrument, the scales and voicings change, which can give a really cool sound.
lydian_slave

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my first 4-5 years of guitar playing were ALL metal...heavy doses of metallica, pantera and the like....and as Steve said, my awareness slowly changed...something happened, and i started seeking something different in my musical taste....and without goin into details...one day i woke up and i went to a new friends house....and i heard Phish for the first time....and then my awareness was full blown, and thats i got to Steve....

so yea that was lot of crap i just wrote....but just listen to what you like....and i believe it will at some point become part of you...

oh and get yourself a nice good clean tone you can be proud of....it does wonders for distortion addiction haha...

www.myspace.com/kushloop
Swain

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you could audition for a band that plays a style you haven't ever played. See if you can woodshed some in the proper style, and learn a "classic tune" or two in the style. And go try out. Maybe a Country band, or a Reggae band.

Another option? Maybe play some Slide guitar. It's pretty fun. Plus, if you incorporate an open tuning, it will probably push you to some new places.

If these ideas are too far out there, maybe switch from Rock to straight Blues. Go to a Blues Jam at a local club, and learn what tunes they play a lot. Then, learn a couple of them and go sit in.

Buy an acoustic and learn to play some Folk Tunes.

Focus more on songwriting.

Learn to sing, if you don't already sing.

Find the most highly touted guitar instructor in your area, and take 6 months of lessons with them.

Any of these could probably kick start your playing/inspiration. If you're talking Technique or Theory, etc. then maybe check out those parts of this Forum. Ask questions, and actually pursue the topics discussed.

Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Performance and Improvisation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: