Steve Kimock Discussion :: View topic - greetings from 33 1/3 rpm
Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index

Steve Kimock Discussion
The Official Steve Kimock Discussion Group

www.Kimock.com

Buy Steve Kimock's New CD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Chat Users Currently Chatting

greetings from 33 1/3 rpm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djstory

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: greetings from 33 1/3 rpm Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm a DJ and producer (electronica) and visual artist from Boulder, CO. Just started to get into The SKB music. After hearing many recordings I finally got off my butt and went and checked em' out live! Holy smokes what difference that made! I was completely blown away....

No SKB recording (my roomie has hundreds) I have ever heard has captured the sound that I heard that night. Just amazing. (tone, reverb off the room, beats... all so tight) I even brought a buddy who generally doesn't dig on the Jammie-er side of music and he LOVED it!. The WHOLE BAND is just really amazing. Of course you all know this..

Not only was I impressed with how well the entire band played but also with Steve's resolve, because he was obviously in a lot of pain. He had what looked to me like a pretty bad toothache. I have had a similar problem in the past and I could hardly get off the couch. I can't believe he played like that. Just goes to show how far some artists will go for their art form. Kudos to you Mr. Kimock for being tougher than nails and truly dedicated.
You are an inspiration to any artist out there.

I am definitely an SKB n00b but I really appreciate good music and I am officially spreading the gospel. I don't think I will miss another show that comes to my area again.

Looking forward to getting to know you all and hope to see you at some shows.

Dj Story/ Love Mafia
Cool
57tele

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. I've always felt like the recordings--and there are some amazing ones out there--never really do justice to Steve's tone. It's not just the timbre, etc., but also the just the huge amount of air that gets moved with each note, that makes for the big experience.

As far as being "jammie," the whole jam thing is a kind of strange topic. I mean, are Ali Akbar Khan or Shakti "jambands?" If nothing else, I can safely say that the philosophy, structure, and intent of SKB is pretty far afield from what I understand about, say Phish, moe., or similar acts All very nice acts, but not coming even remotely from the same place.
pmatz2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24bit recordings blasted really loud gets you a little closer
djstory

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by "jammie"... i meant my buddy tends to shy away from anything even remotely fitting into that genre. He produces electronica too and is very into sound. He was pleasantly surprised to say the least by the attention to detail and how well the band performed.
teakwoodbetz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: jam Reply with quote

i think they are grouped with that genre a lot becuase of their tendency for improvisation and the hippie crowd that frequents the shows. i think sometimes its the air around a band that gives them labels more so than the music.
Lee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Jam 2 Reply with quote

Quote:
i think sometimes its the air around a band that gives them labels more so than the music.

I strongly agree with this characterization. It's often the crowd that leads to the labeling of music. Many music forms rely on improvization, e.g., bluegrass, jazz, blues, etc.

At my first SKB experience in Falls Church, VA, my friends pointed out that embedded in the crowd were people one might find at a Dead show. It might be a style thing, not a music thing, that leads to the jamband label.
djstory

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have to agree with that statement too.
Pretty much any show that has people with long hair, and where the music gets improved, gets lumped into the jam band category these days.

The Allman's are a southern rock band and always have been to me, but today even they get lumped into the jam band category by a lot of the media... go figure.
cogan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are you spinning next? I don't generally like electronica in any of its forms, but my roommates do and I can get dragged along if I know the DJ.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: