Steve Kimock Discussion :: View topic - steve's Dumble
Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index

Steve Kimock Discussion
The Official Steve Kimock Discussion Group

www.Kimock.com

Buy Steve Kimock's New CD


 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Chat Users Currently Chatting

 
steve's Dumble

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Gear talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
fatt-one



Joined: 25 Oct 2004
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: steve's Dumble Reply with quote

Hi All,
I was wondering if someone had the scoop on steve's Dumble.I'm curious about the year of manufacture,any internal pot's,mods....etc.

I had a chance to hear the clean channel on this amp before a Rochester N.Y. show about a year and a half ago.but we never made it over to the lead channel............clean was amazing to say the least. anybody else have any info on it.
Thanks!!
Chris G
This is the head with the Guild sticker on it, not the newer one
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mikecornett



Joined: 06 Aug 2004
Posts: 630
Location: Bakersfield,CA

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that the 50w is any older than his 100w model...but according to previous Kimock interviews, if I remember correctly, the 50w was built in the late 70s/early 80s.

The K&M Custom amp is a near clone of Steve's 50w dumble.
_________________
What you give is yours forever
What you keep, you lose
_______________________
Bakersfield,CA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
fatt-one



Joined: 25 Oct 2004
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikecornett wrote:
I'm not sure that the 50w is any older than his 100w model...but according to previous Kimock interviews, if I remember correctly, the 50w was built in the late 70s/early 80s.

The K&M Custom amp is a near clone of Steve's 50w dumble.



Hi Mike,
Thanks for the info,I guess why I asked was the difference in physical condition and looks, the 50 watt looks so much older than the 100 watt.Howard must have changed the front panel graffics around sometime in the mid 80's.I remember reading somewhere that the K&M Custom was based on steves 81' 50 watt.

Thanks
Chris
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DcM



Joined: 11 Nov 2004
Posts: 23
Location: Hudson, New York

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the 50 watt dumble was made in the early 70's, number 86.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fatt-one



Joined: 25 Oct 2004
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DcM wrote:
I believe the 50 watt dumble was made in the early 70's, number 86.


Thanks Dcm,
This begs the question...........which amp did K&M clone? the amp with the Guild sticker on the chassis or the more modern looking one? I also remember the serial # on the newer 100 watt one being 180 something.....which if Howard went by 1 at a time in his serialization would put it much later than the 70's one?................confused yet!!!!!!!!!! I know I am Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mikecornett



Joined: 06 Aug 2004
Posts: 630
Location: Bakersfield,CA

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve's got 2 dumbles...a 50w (guild sticker) and a 100w. K&M used the 50w (guild sticker) to model their Custom after.
_________________
What you give is yours forever
What you keep, you lose
_______________________
Bakersfield,CA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Reaction Jackson



Joined: 05 Aug 2004
Posts: 286
Location: North NJ

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatt-one wrote:
DcM wrote:
I believe the 50 watt dumble was made in the early 70's, number 86.


Thanks Dcm,
This begs the question...........which amp did K&M clone? the amp with the Guild sticker on the chassis or the more modern looking one? I also remember the serial # on the newer 100 watt one being 180 something.....which if Howard went by 1 at a time in his serialization would put it much later than the 70's one?................confused yet!!!!!!!!!! I know I am Very Happy


It's really not that big of a mystery. He moved to what you refer to as the 'more modern' faceplate on all of his later models. You can see in this directory:
http://www.ma.umist.ac.uk/rl/amps/Dumble/
that the faceplate cosmetically changes somewhere between #75 & #119. FYI - according to the attached txt file, #75 was made in '81. More importantly there probably wasn't any significant circuit change between the two looks -- if anything there was more variance from amp to amp.
_________________
Jersey Fresh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fatt-one



Joined: 25 Oct 2004
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaction Jackson wrote:
fatt-one wrote:
DcM wrote:
I believe the 50 watt dumble was made in the early 70's, number 86.


Thanks Dcm,
This begs the question...........which amp did K&M clone? the amp with the Guild sticker on the chassis or the more modern looking one? I also remember the serial # on the newer 100 watt one being 180 something.....which if Howard went by 1 at a time in his serialization would put it much later than the 70's one?................confused yet!!!!!!!!!! I know I am Very Happy


It's really not that big of a mystery. He moved to what you refer to as the 'more modern' faceplate on all of his later models. You can see in this directory:
http://www.ma.umist.ac.uk/rl/amps/Dumble/
that the faceplate cosmetically changes somewhere between #75 & #119. FYI - according to the attached txt file, #75 was made in '81. More importantly there probably wasn't any significant circuit change between the two looks -- if anything there was more variance from amp to amp.



Thanks for the link Reaction.Thats alot of decent info for sure!!!! I think the circut did change abit to include some internal trim pots.atleast a trimmer to tailor how much of the clean channel is fed into the lead channel.Maybe this happened latter though, so the Guild sticker head is from 81 the other head probably the mid 80's sound about right to you?
Thanks for the link!!!!
Chris
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kimock



Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Posts: 441
Location: Lehigh Valley

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everybody,

First, my 50-watt Dumble has never been "cloned", period. This is another one of those ridiculous internet myths. Bill Krinard, as I assume you know, is responsible for the design off all the Two-Rock and K&M amplifiers. In the early years of Bill's startup of that company, we were engaged in a friendly sort of one-upmanship pissing contest about who could show up with the coolest amp. Untold numbers of stock and modified Fenders, Marshalls, DeArmonds, Selmers, Laneys, Jim Kelleys, Boogies, crazy old Altec PA systems, and lots of stuff too obscure to even remember passed between us. None of it sounded anywhere near as good as my 50-watt Dumble.

My Dumble was always kind of a target for us, but never one we intended to hit. Bill only ever meant to come up with something that would just be better. I think it took him about 5 years, maybe more, but he went right past my 50-watt with the Custom Reverb signature. A better amp in every way than my 50-watt Dumble, and it shares not one value in common.

In every meaningful way, they're completely different amplifiers. Different transformers, different power supply, different effects loop, different lead circuit, different front-end, different front panel control layout. My 50-watt still has the goop on the pre-amp, and except for a couple of amps that Bill made 3 or 4 years ago that had the same plate resistors as my amp, none of the Two-Rock amps are anywhere near being physical clones of any Dumble. Inspired by Dumble's work obviously, but at least in regards to my amplifier, the Custom Reverb signature is clearly an improvement in every way, in every area of its performance.

Please let's give credit where credit is due for the success of K&M's recent product line. Hats off to Bill & Joe for their work in raising the bar in contemporary musical instrument amplifier design.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
kimock



Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Posts: 441
Location: Lehigh Valley

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to clarify:
My 50-watt Dumble is in fact serial number 86.
My 100-watt Dumble is serial number 214.

My 100-watt was originally an EL34-Skyline EQ model. I basically got it because I thought I would be getting just a bigger sounding 50-watt. Boy was I wrong! What a piece of shit. We rebuilt it to emulate my 50-watt, that's as close as you're ever gonna get to a clone of my old Dumble! My new Dumble!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
fatt-one



Joined: 25 Oct 2004
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimock wrote:
Just wanted to clarify:
My 50-watt Dumble is in fact serial number 86.
My 100-watt Dumble is serial number 214.

My 100-watt was originally an EL34-Skyline EQ model. I basically got it because I thought I would be getting just a bigger sounding 50-watt. Boy was I wrong! What a piece of shit. We rebuilt it to emulate my 50-watt, that's as close as you're ever gonna get to a clone of my old Dumble! My new Dumble!


Hi Steve,
Thanks for the info!!!! Maybe one more question,is #86 is closer to a 70's style amp............no internal trimmers of any kind? but still has the goo.
Thank-you Steve!!
Chris
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kimock



Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Posts: 441
Location: Lehigh Valley

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatt-one,
How are you doing man? I remember you I think. You came to soundcheck, right? You had built a little train wreck or something. It sounded great, good work!

If my memory serves me correctly, number 86 has 3 internal trimmers. Looking from the front of the chassis, there's one trim-pot to adjust the gain of the FET input. There's a trimmer to the right side of the pre-amp board that allows you to adjust the gain to the overdrive channel. Somewhere off to the right, in a smokey haze of monkeys staring into the back of a TV, is a trim-pot that adjusts the amount of presence when you engage the "accent" switch. That's it.

The 100-watt as I received it was chock-a-block with trim-pots for every conceivable function. Mostly, they just made the amp sound worse. Fully counter-clockwise was the flat position, fully clockwise was worse. I removed them, sold them on EBay, and bought all the cousins brand new Harley Davidsons. Seriously, that skyline EQ thing and the internal trim concept do nothing for me. YMMV.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
fatt-one



Joined: 25 Oct 2004
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimock wrote:
fatt-one,
How are you doing man? I remember you I think. You came to soundcheck, right? You had built a little train wreck or something. It sounded great, good work!

If my memory serves me correctly, number 86 has 3 internal trimmers. Looking from the front of the chassis, there's one trim-pot to adjust the gain of the FET input. There's a trimmer to the right side of the pre-amp board that allows you to adjust the gain to the overdrive channel. Somewhere off to the right, in a smokey haze of monkeys staring into the back of a TV, is a trim-pot that adjusts the amount of presence when you engage the "accent" switch. That's it.

The 100-watt as I received it was chock-a-block with trim-pots for every conceivable function. Mostly, they just made the amp sound worse. Fully counter-clockwise was the flat position, fully clockwise was worse. I removed them, sold them on EBay, and bought all the cousins brand new Harley Davidsons. Seriously, that skyline EQ thing and the internal trim concept do nothing for me. YMMV.


Hi Steve,
You are correct!!! You played 2 of my amps that day,one a small 2 el-84 amp at a music store where we met by chance, the other a trainwreck Express copy. which you demoed before your sound check,and the amp has never sounded as good as it did that afternoon!!!!!

Thank-you so much for the detailed info on the amp!!! I have a set of fender twin trannies and a bandmaster head shell I plan on building a dumble type amp in.I want to try a version without the skyliner type trimmers.......

Steve......any chance you are coming back here to Rochester?

Thank-you for the kind words Steve!!!
Chris G
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Gear talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group