Steve Kimock Discussion :: View topic - Ovetones
Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index

Steve Kimock Discussion
The Official Steve Kimock Discussion Group

www.Kimock.com

Buy Steve Kimock's New CD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Chat Users Currently Chatting

Ovetones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Performance and Improvisation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rustystrings2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: Ovetones Reply with quote

Chewy was right, it has been quiet around here, so here goes.
I've been thinking about overtones lately, and would love to hear some thoughts on the subject. I saw Steve's post where he talks about how many "cents" different tones are, and maybe it's kind of along those lines.
I bought a theory book, and didn't get very far, but fortunately at the beginning there was a discussion about overtones, which are basically the other notes you sort of hear in the background for each actual note. Also called "partials," overtones vary depending on the timbre of the particular instrument.
I was talking to some shredding guitar instructors one time and I remember them talking about how the real test of a good player is how they "dig in." Not much of a shredder myself, but I'm thinking that intonation is the real grail of playing, rather than speed or technique, per se.
I remember an exchange in the Pizza Tapes release with Jerry Garcia, Tony Rice and David Grisman. Garcia tells Rice he likes his tone, that it is louder than another player, Clarence (not sure who that is.) Grisman says something about how louder is not necessarily better, and Garcia says, "Louder IS better, David. On this planet. Louder is better." Keep in mind these were acoustic sessions, so he's talking about playing louder, not turning up the amp. I think this all goes back to overtones and the partials that come out when the notes are clearly played.
I think it also vindicates certain players. I bought a used Japanese Kramer and the guys on the Kramer board had some posts that mentioned Neil Young, kind of ripping him for his technique. (They also said I got a good deal on the guitar.) But I always thought Neil brought something to the table with his playing, not just his songs. He uses anything but a clear tone like Steve, and his crunchy riffs are rich with overtones, even if he does not shred. I think maybe it's an instinctual thing.
One last thought. I had a friend who played drums in high school, fancy stuff like Neil Peart and whatnot. About 15 years later, I ran into a mutual friend who said he was playing professionally in another city.
"He doesn't play anything like he used to," he said. "He hits those skins hard."
CHEWY

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: MMM PIZZA Reply with quote

Not sure what your searching for???
First I had heard of the Pizza album, I will have to put that on the Christmas list, especially if they are discussing music on it..
Ive really enjoyed Steves musical lessons and conversations hes done this year.. Its really put another perspective out there and has kept me driving myself to play more and learn more, after being in a rut after I lost my jam space and then my band..err
Now I get lost some times when Steve talks about the all the notes modes,keys etc.
Last time I spoke with him.. Mitch and him where talkin Chinesse to me while talking about the song the closed with think it was T n G.. but I always enjoy it, might have been the wine post beer buzz...that shut off my brain but I learned some stuff..

Ive always been an ear player if that makes sense, when it comes to tones modes and scales..I ve now just starting hitting the books and studying more, but I believe you have to listen first ... Now when you search for tone lessons on line you get ring tones,ha..
The most important thing to understand is the fact that there are 12 tones and they repeat after the 12th tone. (after the G# comes the A)
also practice your harmonics..
rustystrings2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Overtones Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for your reply. I was beginning to wonder if it made any sense at all. (Is this thing on?)
Little did I know Steve's Guitar Player Magazine Master Class this month was sort of on this topic. I guess I was wondering if other players think about it the same way. As I get older and keep playing, I like that nice clear tone better and better, especially on acoustic. I mean, spank that thing.
As for the Pizza Tapes, not a lot of talk, just snippetts, but some great jams on classics like "Long Black Veil" "Knockin on Heaven's Door" and "Little Sadie" Check out Tony Rice playing the tune from the ice cream truck.
A lot of that "alphabet soup" stuff gets lost on me, too, because I have alwys relied on my ear, but I like what Steve said about non pitch-specific improvization ideas. As for modes, I posted about them a while back, and rather than try to understand them, I just play through them once in a while to get them in my ear.
Anyways, hope you get a jam space and a new project together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Performance and Improvisation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: