Steve Kimock Discussion :: View topic - Mutron III Question
Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index

Steve Kimock Discussion
The Official Steve Kimock Discussion Group

www.Kimock.com

Buy Steve Kimock's New CD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Chat Users Currently Chatting

Mutron III Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Gear talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frankenstrat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbowenz wrote:
Frankenstrat wrote:
Well, the Mu-Tron gremlins must've gone on vacation.

The gremlins live in MY Q-tron ......I have seenum

Use the Beta Capsule, Ultraman!
Archetype

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Dialing in the Mu-Tron III Reply with quote

So I just bought a Mu-Tron III from a guy who has had it in his closet for nearly 20 years. It was a great find (I think). He had it in the original box and it looks like it just came from the factory.

Anyway, so I took it home plugged it in and messed around with it for a while. At any rate, I can't quite milk the sound I want out of it. It's like it is close to being good but just not cutting it. Is there a special trick to dial in this puppy? Anybody have any suggestions of what works best with their rig?

I am running it through a Jim Kelley amp, Tubby Cabinet, an LXP-1, and a semi-hallow guitar. Thanks in advance.
57tele

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Dialing in the Mu-Tron III Reply with quote

Archetype wrote:
So I just bought a Mu-Tron III from a guy who has had it in his closet for nearly 20 years. It was a great find (I think). He had it in the original box and it looks like it just came from the factory.

Anyway, so I took it home plugged it in and messed around with it for a while. At any rate, I can't quite milk the sound I want out of it. It's like it is close to being good but just not cutting it. Is there a special trick to dial in this puppy? Anybody have any suggestions of what works best with their rig?

I am running it through a Jim Kelley amp, Tubby Cabinet, an LXP-1, and a semi-hallow guitar. Thanks in advance.

A thread on the general quack fuzz concept:

http://www.online-discussion.com/SteveKimock/viewtopic.php?t=827
Archetype

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the redirect. I'm still having some trouble finding that tone I want. I tried Steve's approach by dialing the Peak and Gain from zero to up. It just doesn't want to open up for me. The LP paired with the Low range makes it difficult to get any response at all. Perhaps I need hotter pick-ups to get it to open. I've heard that running parallel will make a good tone when playing higher in the register. I guess I'll just keep on playing around with it and hope that I can find the sweet spot soon enough!

http://www.archetypeproductions.org
Fayetteville, Arkansas
57tele

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archetype wrote:
Thanks for the redirect. I'm still having some trouble finding that tone I want. I tried Steve's approach by dialing the Peak and Gain from zero to up. It just doesn't want to open up for me. The LP paired with the Low range makes it difficult to get any response at all. Perhaps I need hotter pick-ups to get it to open. I've heard that running parallel will make a good tone when playing higher in the register. I guess I'll just keep on playing around with it and hope that I can find the sweet spot soon enough!

Have you tried your treble pickup, wide open, and maybe tweaking the treble/bright on the amp up a bit?
lalaland

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird...
In my experience with a Q-Tron, my big problem is that it opens up too easily.

I have humbuckers that are pretty low in the guitar, and the Gain and Peak knobs are set right around the third notch from 'off', and I still run the tone and volume on my guitar at like 6 or 7 each.
Frankenstrat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Mu-Tron did you get? The one that has a hard wired AC cord? Or, the one that has the three pronged jack with a separate cable? If the latter, it should work great, but if it's the one with the hard wired AC cord, I don't think you'll ever be very happy with it. I bought an HAZ, which needs an 18V wall wart, and A/B'd it with a hard wired one, and truth be told, the HAZ blows the old one AWAY! Oh, and I tried to run an Analogman Sunface after the old one, and it really didn't do anything but make a bunch of noise.
Archetype

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well I have eliminated the problem. I did try to brighten up the amp and that helped a little (thanks for your advice). I also replaced the batteries with two fresh-long-lasting 9V. I should have done this to begin with but I just figured the Mu-Tron wouldn't function at all if the batteries are low but in fact the response just gets weaker. A simple fix that is usually the first to be overlooked! And it was indeed. Now I am getting a good signal but still a little weak on the high E. From what I have read this is a common problem. I play with 13's. And this is the three-pronged Mu-Tron.

Does anyone have a reissue adapter for the original Mu-Tron? Does it function ok?

Thanks for all your help,

plord

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archetype wrote:
Does anyone have a reissue adapter for the original Mu-Tron? Does it function ok?

I have the reissue power supply from Lingenberg Sound, three prongs with wall-wart AND lump in the middle. Other than the bulkiness factor, it is the bomb-diggity. It's paid for itself in batteries 5x over.
kimock

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankenstrat wrote:
Which Mu-Tron did you get? The one that has a hard wired AC cord? Or, the one that has the three pronged jack with a separate cable? If the latter, it should work great, but if it's the one with the hard wired AC cord, I don't think you'll ever be very happy with it.

I use the hard-wired version myself, and have never been happy with the wall wart variety.
Hey look! The world is spinning 'round. . .

p's
Frankenstrat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Methinks the one that I A/B'd may have had other problems. It was pretty beat-up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Gear talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: