Steve Kimock Discussion :: View topic - Tubes
Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index

Steve Kimock Discussion
The Official Steve Kimock Discussion Group

www.Kimock.com

Buy Steve Kimock's New CD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Chat Users Currently Chatting

Tubes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Gear talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Kushmerek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Tubes Reply with quote

Wanted to start a topic on tubes. I have a Mesa Boogie Lone Star special and just retubed from stock to NOS. I did a lot of comparison contrasts on the 12AX7 with Amperex, Raytheon, RFT's in http://www.grailtone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4465&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

and wound up using the amperex Herleen from 58 in V1, and a raytheon black plate in V2 for my preamp section. using a reissue Tungsol as a phase inverter. for me Power section, I have a matched pair of Mullards and Bugle boys (EL84).

what do you like to use for you fat rich sound?
kimock

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tubes Reply with quote

Jeff Kushmerek wrote:
Wanted to start a topic on tubes. I have a Mesa Boogie Lone Star special and just retubed from stock to NOS. I did a lot of comparison contrasts on the 12AX7 with Amperex, Raytheon, RFT's in http://www.grailtone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4465&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

and wound up using the amperex Herleen from 58 in V1, and a raytheon black plate in V2 for my preamp section. using a reissue Tungsol as a phase inverter. for me Power section, I have a matched pair of Mullards and Bugle boys (EL84).

I prefer almost anything to the Chinese tubes that come stock in the Boogies these days. Most new amps use the same Chinese 12-AX7's that Mesa does, and most new amps including Boogies are designed around those tubes.
Still, they're so gainey and bright sounding to me that anything is an improvement imo.
At the same time, lots of folks use the Chinese pre-amp tubes, I think Robben Ford does, correct me if I'm wrong, so it's not like they don't work.

At this point in my life, anything that reminds me of a Fender amp is a strong preference, so I'm good with any old RCA's straight across.
I'm still happiest onstage with the old Sylvania double-getter STR-415's I grew up with, but I use the big and small bottle RCA's and GE's at home, and on the road in a pinch.

The one odd aspect of the pre-amp tube swap routine for me has been that every tube regardless of brand really does seem to work and sound a little differently. As soon as I decide that I really like a specific tube in a specific application, say smooth plate Telefunken for V1 in the Dumble, it doesn't mean that just any smooth plate Telefunken will work there.
I usually go through at least a couple of them to find one that feels equivalent, and often I'll find some other brand that works just as well.

Anyway, right now I'm using mostly RCA and GE stuff for the Fender family sound factor.

peace sk
lalaland

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tubes Reply with quote

Jeff Kushmerek wrote:

Hey, I have the exact same amp.
Mabye could you talk a little more about how the tubes changed the sound, etc.

You could also pm me because I'd like to know your thoughts on the amp, etc. and don't want to derail the thread.

Thanks,
Jamie
kimock

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Tubes Reply with quote

Jeff Kushmerek wrote:

I prefer almost anything to the Chinese tubes that come stock in the Boogies these days. Most new amps use the same Chinese 12-AX7's that Mesa does, and most new amps including Boogies are designed around those tubes.
Still, they're so gainey and bright sounding to me that anything is an improvement imo.
At the same time, lots of folks use the Chinese pre-amp tubes, I think Robben Ford does, correct me if I'm wrong, so it's not like they don't work.

At this point in my life, anything that reminds me of a Fender amp is a strong preference, so I'm good with any old RCA's straight across.
I'm still happiest onstage with the old Sylvania double-getter STR-415's I grew up with, but I use the big and small bottle RCA's and GE's at home, and on the road in a pinch.

The one odd aspect of the pre-amp tube swap routine for me has been that every tube regardless of brand really does seem to work and sound a little differently. As soon as I decide that I really like a specific tube in a specific application, say smooth plate Telefunken for V1 in the Dumble, it doesn't mean that just any smooth plate Telefunken will work there.
I usually go through at least a couple of them to find one that feels equivalent, and often I'll find some other brand that works just as well.

Anyway, right now I'm using mostly RCA and GE stuff for the Fender family sound factor.

peace sk
lalaland

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man, the question about the echo box was on the other thread.

Har-har-har.
kimock

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was odd. . .
57tele

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously a temporary tear in the space-time continuum. Either that or we're all sharing a flashback.
kimock

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the last couple of days this forum has been buggy for me re: preview and post function.
Is it just me?
57tele

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimock wrote:
For the last couple of days this forum has been buggy for me re: preview and post function.
Is it just me?

I haven't noticed it myself, but I'll have a look into it. I've noticed those sorts of problems from time to time on another forum that uses the same software, so it wouldn't be surprising if it were happening here.
lalaland

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

57tele wrote:
Obviously a temporary tear in the space-time continuum. Either that or we're all sharing a flashback.

I didnt know you could have a flashback to yesterday?!

lalaland

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I just looked up NOS EL84s, and they are pretty damn expensive.
I had no idea that NOS tubes were that much!
Frankenstrat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah. There a NOS pair of E34L's for a Boogie at Gelb in Redwood City. Yeah, $147.00!!! For a pair!! I like this Mark III, and all, but geesh! I've had some problems posting here for the past week or so. Just little things like, after you log in, there are no, "New Posts," flags anywhere. I was just going by dates on the right. But just a few minutes ago, something happened, and they're all there now. Whatever you did Mike, it worked great. Of course, now you'll chime in with the old, "I didn't do anything...yet." Ah, the internets...
Jeff Kushmerek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie,
I'll ping you on the PM about the LSS, but I would spend the money on the preamp tubes first, not the power tubes. This thread here on the Boogie board is all about preamp tubes for the LSS:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=4465

You can also find some great tubes used or on ebay for cheaper, to see if you like the tone and invest more. Since we both like the same music, I would recommend a 50's amperex bugle boy in V1, and a Raytheon black plate in V2. I use a Tung-sol reissue in V5 (Phase inverter). I also put a 12at7 in the reverb slot, which made it much easier to control (12ax7 is pretty powerful for reverb). All of these tubes I mentioned besides the V1 can be had for around 20 bucks, and will make a dramatic difference to the LoneStar. Channel 2 is very kick ass now, and I use that more than any pedals I had bought (although a Timmy just arrived today)

I hope that helps!

EDIT- nos JJ's for 8 bucks each until tax day at http://kcanostubes.com/content/estore.asp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Gear talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: