Suhr :: View topic - Modern Elliptical .780 vs .800

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Modern Elliptical .780 vs .800

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeKo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Modern Elliptical .780 vs .800 Reply with quote

Hey guys!

Has anybody had the chance to compare the two neck thicknesses? I've only played a Modern with the slimmer neck and I found it very comfortable but I'm really interested in the GG thickness as well. So I guess the actual shapes are identical but the GG one is only slightly bigger (0.020" = 0.5mm)?

Will the GG shape feel noticeably bigger or is there only a very slight difference?

Thanks! I'd really appreciate your input.
Mrbluesmann

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first modern had the .780 neck shape and it was a great guitar but i didnt bond with the neck. So I drove 3 hours away and tried about 5 different necks sizes because i wanted the right one this time and I got the GG neck and love it. IMO it is worth the drive to any suhr dealer if they have the stock and to check it out yourself.
Tone Freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is definitely a noticeable difference between the normal Suhr Modern neck and the GG. I was able to purchase a Suhr Modern with the normal neck from a dealer that had a return policy. I could see right away that the neck just wasn't working for me 100%. So, I returned it and have since ordered 3 Custom Moderns over time with the GG necks on all three. Could not be happier and would not purchase another Modern with any other neck. While the difference is indeed small, it sure seems to make a huge difference...at least to me. But, if the normal neck feels good to you, you should probably stick with it.
JeKo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments! I guess I'll go with the GG shape. I just wanted to make sure that there's no huge difference between .780 and .800. With the .820 the difference would probably be quite noticeable...
nessgfonky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After testing my Modern with GG profile neck and a Rasmus with standard Modern profile (0.780 - 0.830) it was for me very very difficult to see a difference....

Finaly i think that the difference is especially in the type of profile rather than in the thickness (even if figures on the paper indicates a finer handle for the standard neck modern profile 0.780 - 0.830).

I prefer the GG profile 0.800 - 0.850 which seems more confortable but also fast (I am not very tall but my hands are it ! Laughing ).

- SUHR CLASSIC T ANTIQUE
- SUHR CLASSIC S HSS Antique fiesta red
- SUHR STANDARD HSS prism
- SUHR CLASSIC HSS candy apple red

My music : www.myspace.com/nessgfonk
tonezone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the opposite for me. I grew up playing very thin necks from companies like Ibanez and ESP. The .780 feels like butter to me. Having heard all the commotion about the GG neck profile I drove to tone merchants and checked out the GG necks. They remind me of sg necks with a slight bit more of a d shape... Which makes sense as Guthrie's first axe was an sg. It's just not for me. I am convinced that I will be sticking with .780 from here on.
nessgfonky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you have to testing GG profile. It's all but never a U sg profile. There is no Gibson with .800 .850. It's more a standard elliptical with a little U profile.

- SUHR CLASSIC T ANTIQUE

tonezone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not saying it WAS an SG neck... It's a GG neck. U shape, D shape... Whatever. It reminded me of an SG neck and I know very well what an SG neck plays and feels like. I have not, however, sat down with a micrometer and checked out the specs. I prefer the .780 - .830. Modern elliptical neck profile. The only way anyone can know which they prefer is to head down to their local Suhr dealer and get one under their fingers.
nessgfonky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I had badly understood Laughing

- SUHR CLASSIC T ANTIQUE

makka

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Modern Elliptical .780 vs .800 Reply with quote

JeKo wrote:
Hey guys!

Has anybody had the chance to compare the two neck thicknesses? I've only played a Modern with the slimmer neck and I found it very comfortable but I'm really interested in the GG thickness as well. So I guess the actual shapes are identical but the GG one is only slightly bigger (0.020" = 0.5mm)?

Will the GG shape feel noticeably bigger or is there only a very slight difference?

Thanks! I'd really appreciate your input.

JeKo wrote:
Thanks for the comments! I guess I'll go with the GG shape. I just wanted to make sure that there's no huge difference between .780 and .800. With the .820 the difference would probably be quite noticeable...

If you've tried out the 0.780" neck and found it comfortable why wouldn't you go with that instead of an option you haven't tried? Seems a bit bizarre to select the GG profile based simply on other people's forum posts.

I say try and find a dealer (or maybe another Suhr owner nearby if you're lucky) and try out the GG profile first before you make the decision otherwise stick with what you know feels comfortable. You'd be kicking yourself if you bought a guitar with the GG profile untried and found you didn't like it.
brainstatic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the 0.020" thickness difference between the 0.780 and 0.800 GG elliptical necks looks small on paper, and while the 0.020" thickness difference between the 0.810 60's C and the 0.830 60's C looks small on paper, I find that tiny difference to be HUGE in hand. I very much prefer one over the other in both cases. They're all eminently comfortable and extremely playable, but given the cost and the excruciating wait involved, do yourself the favor of doing your due diligence to be absolutely certain you're getting what you want. It'd be a pity to wait 9 months for a guitar that you turn around and put up on the market within a week of receiving it just because you aren't 110% in love with the neck shape. (Some folks do exactly that.)

I have at least one of each of those four neck shapes and only comment after having spent many hours on each of them. I developed the love of the 0.830 60's C after months of side-by-side comparison against the 0.810 60's C Std. The GG profile wasn't available on my first modern, so I rolled the dice.

That said, I've got a chambered Classic T I'd sell in a heartbeat for the same guitar with a roasted 60's C Medium (0.830). Likewise I'd sell my LE2009 for a 510 equipped version with a roasted GG neck. (maybe)

Is the neck a deal breaker for me? No. Would it be worth a day in the car and the cost of a tank of gas to be absolutely certain? HELL YES.

Best of luck to you in your quest.

sean
nessgfonky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the 0.020" thickness difference between the 0.780 and 0.800 GG elliptical necks looks small on paper, but also in reality.

The real difference in hand is because of the neck profile. The GG profile is more in U than the 0.780 which is more C.

- SUHR CLASSIC T ANTIQUE

JeKo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions! I went with the GG shape after all. I really dug the thinner one as well but lately I've been leaning towards a tad thicker necks so I guess the GG will do the trick. I've always found it easy to get used to a new shape/thickness and it's never been a problem. Ed also helped me to choose between the two based on my current guitars' neck profiles, so yeah, it was a completely informed decision.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: