Jimi Hendrix Discussion :: View topic - Hendrix bassist Billy Cox on Jesus & Jimi

Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index

Jimi Hendrix Discussion
The Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum - Cause I'm standing next to a mountain....

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Hendrix bassist Billy Cox on Jesus & Jimi
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blahblahwoofwoof

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Hendrix bassist Billy Cox on Jesus & Jimi Reply with quote

Quote:
Dedicated to Jesus and Jimi - Hendrix bassist Bill Cox feels the spirit of his friend and calling of the Lord

By TIM GHIANNI
Senior Writer

Jesus and Jimi Hendrix are permanent sidekicks for Nashville Harley enthusiast, gospel artist, TV producer and rock 'n' roll bassist Bill Cox.

Actually, the world knows him as Billy Cox, the former Fort Campbell paratrooper who kicked into Nashville back in 1962 with the late guitar legend.

The born-again son of a preacher, Cox talks freely about his friendship with Hendrix and about his personal commitment to Jesus — almost as if they're both in the room — during a spirited session inside his upscale home not far from the state prison.

"I'm a collector of rare junk," he says, motioning around the converted garage, its walls lined with mementos and knick-knacks, "things from my life."

Many of the pieces of Coke memorabilia and trinkets were collected during his ramblings around the world with Hendrix. "He'd be sleeping in the hotel. He was lazy. Me and Mitch (drummer Mitch Mitchell) liked to get up and go antique shopping, go to the flea markets."

Half of the garage is dominated by a pool table, something he uses every day. The rest is left for his office and studio, from which Cox runs his various business affairs and projects, including a pair of public access TV shows as well as his video production company. It's also where he practices his music, whether for a church performance or a tribute to a friend.

On this day, he's been on the phone with Japanese radio in regard to a new Hendrix tribute, Billy Cox & Buddy Miles: The Band of Gypsys Return. The original Band of Gypsys included those two plus Hendrix. Arguably history's most influential rock 'n' roll guitar player, Hendrix's music crossed racial barriers in the 1960s. Although he overdosed at age 27 in 1970, his estate continues to release albums.

On the new tribute album, bassist Cox and drummer Miles try to recapture the spirit of the original Band of Gypsys and their landmark live album from New Year's Eve 1969 at the Fillmore East. Various guitarists take their turns playing lead on this project.

"There are only two types of guitarists," Cox says. "Those who admit they were influenced by Jimi Hendrix and those who don't admit it."

Later in the day, he's expecting a call from shock-rocker Alice Cooper, who is interviewing him for his satellite radio program.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006607170317
Christopher X

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Saw it today too Reply with quote

I saw this today on a srv yahoo group,yes i would not mind getting that tribute album as i saw eric gales is on some tracks,one of my favourite guitar players alive today. Cool
Georgina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto-Nice post. Just glad to see the guy is happy and doing well for himself. Not a believer myself- but I dont have problem with other people believing whatever they like. As long as you dont enforce those beliefs on others..

Interesting speculation..-If Hendrix had lived do you think he would been very religious? Become a born again christian like Billy or converted to Islam like his friends the Allen twins (the ghetto fighters)?. Can u imagine Hendrix changing is name to an Islamic one? Or do you think he would have gone Rastafri in the 70's?
Christopher X

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Im the same Reply with quote

Georgina wrote:
Ditto-Nice post. Just glad to see the guy is happy and doing well for himself. Not a believer myself- but I dont have problem with other people believing whatever they like. As long as you dont enforce those beliefs on others..

Interesting speculation..-If Hendrix had lived do you think he would been very religious? Become a born again christian like Billy or converted to Islam like his friends the Allen twins (the ghetto fighters)?. Can u imagine Hendrix changing is name to an Islamic one? Or do you think he would have gone Rastafri in the 70's?

Your top coment that goes the same for me too,as for jimi yes maybe could have gone muslim,but would we get his music then,cat stevens did that,reggae i dont think so maybe a little bit though.Maybe he would have been into all that cosmic,astral type stuff,sort of hippie,new age stuff,the planets,space,or just totaly inot his music and not that religious.

Last edited by Christopher X on Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
blahblahwoofwoof

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgina wrote:

I agree with your sentiments. FYI, I'm a believer and a liberal; some conservatives in this country have a hard time understanding how the two can be one. I don't believe my government should give funding to religious organizations of any faith. Some on the right side of the aisle would say that makes me anti-religious, blah blah woof woof.. I also believe in a woman's right to choose. I don't think it would be a stretch to say that Jimi's views were similar to my own, based on direct quotes from Jimi on various issues..

rockbysea is correct. Tony Brown's book "Jimi Hendrix - In His Own Words" has a section on Jimi's views on religion. Here's what he had to say...

A lotta kids, you know, don't find nothing in church. I remember when I got thrown out of church because I had the improper clothes on. I had tennis shoes and a suit and they said, "Well, that's not proper." So we don't have any money to get anything else. So I just got thrown out of church anyway, and it's nothing but an institution; so they're not going to find nothing there. And so then it moves on to trying to find yourself, you know. So therefore you see somebody look maybe kind of freaky or playing very radical; regardless if it's good or bad, you know, and then quite naturally they take up to this person, or these people... It's up to the people to preach the proper thing to them through the music. You've got to simplify anyway, you know... That's why you have to have some kind of eye dreams on yourself, regardless of what you're like outwards, you know. And then like, once you carry God inside yourself, well then; you're part of him and he's part of you. - Jimi Hendrix - New York, July 1969

I don't think any of us could really speculate on what Jimi's belief structure would be like now; but as for whether or not Jimi directly believed in Jesus back then; all one needs do to is look at the original draft of the lyrics to Purple Haze.

Christopher X

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

thanks for the info blahblahwoofwoof. Cool
blahblahwoofwoof

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problemo. Smile
Georgina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily over here we dont get the evangelical thing so much-although its around a bit. It seems to be Moslems over here that have a lot to say currently -but better not to go off on topic...

I think Hendrix may have liked the Rasta religon in some ways-the sacred herb, the cool hairstyle, (although now everyone has dreads just as a fashion statement!). I think he may have agreed with some of the sentiments of Haile Selassiee-peace, racial tolerance and intergration, and moral bearing which is at the heart of the Rasta religon. Although seeing him as the messiah is going a bit far IMO-but that's up to the individual. But I guess intrinsicly it's a Jamaican roots thing. So he perhaps wouldn't have indentifyed with it. I think he would have found their music interesting perhaps.
blahblahwoofwoof

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockbysea wrote:
blahblahwoofwoof....I can't read that copy of Jimi's lyrics to Purple Haze and I was wondering if you could type them out for me and post them in this thread so I can read it Confused

Yeah, sorry about that. Embarassed I was looking for a picture of that lyric sheet and the only jpeg I could find was small. I tried resizing it, but the lyrics got all blurry. Anyway, I just scanned this copy out of my Jimi Hendrix "Sessions" book.

blahblahwoofwoof

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgina wrote:
I think he would have found their music interesting perhaps.

How could he not? Anybody who doesn't like reggae music should be shot. J/K Laughing
Georgina

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That books really rare now-I think it's out of print, so I would hang on to it. The illustrations are really good.

However -I am pretty dubious about the line she is trying spin in the book. I think Cathy Etchingham took her to court over some of what she says about her-but I do think she was a good artist and its a shame she had rough time of it, in many ways.
Georgina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rock

Hope you didnt take offence there. You're 100% entitled to your opinon. I am open and quite intrigued in whatever evidence you may have discovered recently.

From my point of veiw personaly( and you dont have to agree) I can't reconcile how Monica can describe Cathy as merely a "fan" when she lived with Jimi for 2 and half years and was photographed with Jimi in their flat by the Daily Mirror. Where Jimi is quoted as saying Cathy was his girlfriend. Also her accounts of their relationship are backed up by Noel and Mitch and Chas Chandler, Ronnie and Zoot Money, and Angie and Eric Burdon. Cathy and Jimi stayed at Noel mum's house Christmas 67. Monica describes their flat as the "bands" flat. It wasnt it was in the name of Cathy Etchingham. Noel and Mitch never lived there. Apparently when Monica described some of the times she spent with Jimi-they are dates of interviews that he had at his Mayfair flat apparently where she didnt go.

I also can't reconcile the different accounts she gives of his death and the last 24 hrs. After giving one account she suddently admited later she actualy went out to get cigarettes. I just can't understand why she kept changing her story. Everyting she says seems to confict with hospital reports police and ambulance reports-do you think this is the consprisy that the police etc are lying?

Why do you think then both Noel and Mitch in their books say Monica was not a major girlfriend of Jimi's.? what are they conspiring against?They both say the big love's of his life during his fame years were Devon Wilson and Cathy.? I imagined that Noel and Mitch toured with him and they knew him.

It comes across to me that she didnt know a lot about him. Just little things like she'd describe him rolling a joint-according to others he was hopeless at this other ppl rolled them. That she made him a tuna sandwich, he drank red wine-when he hated tuna apparently and didnt like red wine. She says he just experimented with drugs he wasnt a heavy drug user-when all his fellow musicians like Jeff Beck says their wasnt a time he spoke to him Jimi wasnt on something. . She also seemed to know curiously little about his bad relationship with his father for someone who was meant to be his fiance.

Anyway sorry hope Ive not offend you please dont be upset-but you know I am just intrigued. As have heard so many different accounts.
Georgina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0312146264/202-2681117-4102204?v=glance&n=266239

Check this review out of the Inner World- and the price £66.69!
blahblahwoofwoof

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockbysea wrote:
You believe what you want to believe. Those slanderous accounts will continue to be passed along by folks such as yourself who are of the same camp as Devon Wilson and Cathy. And being in the same camp you’ll have to face the same consequences, in other words according to Jimi's beliefs, you will share their fate. But I know someone personally who knows Jimi better than anyone who has ever known him on this earth.

Jimi and Monika (The Two Jade Stones) one day will “Burn the Sky”.

What consequences will she have to face? What fate will she share?

Even the most ardent Monika supporter has to admit that there are some oddities about September the 18th.

In 1997, Tony Brown contacted the two ambulance attendants, Reginal Jones and John Saua, who responded to a call that Hendrix was unable to wake up. The ambulance reached the Samarkand Hotel at 11:27 AM. The following is Reginal Jones’s description of what they found, as told to Tony Brown:

It was horrific, we arrived at the flat, the door was flung open, nobody about, just the body on the bed. We called out for someone, loads of times, so we walked in. We went into the bedroom, it was dark because the curtains were still pulled, I mean the gas fire was on but you couldn’t see anything, your eyes had to adjust. He was covered in vomit, there was tons of it all over the pillow, black and brown it was. His airway was completely blocked all the way down, his tongue had fallen back, he was flat on his back you see. The room was dark, we had to pull the curtains. Well we had to get the police, we only had him and an empty flat, so John ran up and radioed, got the aspirator too. We felt his pulse between his shoulders, pinched his earlobe and nose, showed a light in his eyes, but there was no response at all. I knew he was dead as soon as I walked in the room, you get a feel for it, I can’t explain it, but you do and I knew he was dead. Once the police arrived which seemed like no time at all, we got him off to the hospital as quick as we could. See we just have to keep working on him and we did, my shirt was wringing wet. ‘Cos the ambulances in them days, weren’t equipped like they are now, we had them crazy Wadhams [type of ambulance] in them days, awful they was. We took him to St. Mary Abbots. That don’t have a casualty ward now but in them days it did. That was our designated hospital for the day. There was a ‘bed state’ at St. Charles, you found out at the beginning of your shift what your designated hospital was

The other ambulance attendant, John Saua, gave a version remarkably similar as Reginal Jones’s version, although the two men had not spoken since they worked together in September 1970. Jones’s regular partner was off that week and Saua filled in. Afterwards, the two men never saw each other again. The following is Saua’s version of events, as told to Tony Brown:

Well I remember we had a hell of a time trying to suck him out [with an aspirator]. I mean the vomit was dry, and there was a hell of a lot of it. The aspirators in those days were all right but not like you have today, they couldn’t shift that lot. I mean we knew it was hopeless, nothing would have worked. To tell the truth, I thought it was an overdose. It wasn’t really my business to diagnose, I just had to keep working. There were no bed clothes on top of him. An ambulance crew by law just has to keep on working on him until we get him to the hospital. There was no pulse, no respiration. We got down to the flat, and there was nobody but the body on the bed. So we had to radio for the police from the ambulance. We couldn’t touch anything in the flat. As I say, we knew he was gone, he was on top of the bed dressed, but I didn’t recognize him, don’t know anybody would have recognized him, his mother wouldn’t have recognized him. He was in a pool of vomit, it was everywhere, but we are not doctors, it’s our job to keep trying till we get him to the hospital, we can’t proclaim him dead…I vaguely remember taking a sample of the vomit in a container, because we didn’t know what he had taken. So as soon as the police arrived, we were off. I was in the back with Jimi, Reg drove. When we moved him, the gases were gurgling, you get when someone has died, it wasn’t too pleasant. The vomit was all the way down, we couldn’t have got an airway down. He was flat on his back, it’s a shame he wasn’t on his side because he probably would have pulled through.

On page 168 of Monika's book she states..

I wondered what Jimi's reaction would be to waking up in the hospital. I didn't care whether he was upset with me or not - I had had no option but to call the ambulance. But my hope was that the press wouldn't find out. That is the reason why I didn't mention Jimi's name to the two ambulance men when they arrived.

Who's telling the truth here?

The London Ambulance Service’s official statement further refutes Dannemann’s claim that she was present in the hotel room when the ambulance attendants arrived. The LAS statement also refutes that Dannemann rode in the ambulance with the "ambulance men" to St. Mary Abbots Hospital. Tony Brown asked ambulance attendant Reginal Jones if anyone else accompanied John Saua and him to the hospital. Here is Jones’s response:

Did anyone come along in the ambulance with you?

No, Mr. Saua was with Jimi, I didn’t know he was Jimi Hendrix - a bit out of my age group. When we got him to the hospital, we had to clean the ambulance out, it really was a mess. His bowels and bladder, all that goes when you’re dead. That flat must have needed a good clean too…

Did you speak to anyone at the flat or on the way?

Just the police and the hospital staff.

I personally believe Monika acted in very much the same way as a hit and run driver. It's my belief that she was scared out of her wits and she didn't know how to react, so she fled the scene. I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, so I don't buy all the alternate versions of Jimi's death such as a mafia hit and so forth. I'm sure Monika cared about Jimi and I believe the whole thing was just a horrible accident. That being said, for the most part, her book is a good read and she was undoubtedly a wonderful painter.

Last edited by blahblahwoofwoof on Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
blahblahwoofwoof

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't fault anybody for having a different take on the situation. Bottom line is, none of us were there. I just have a hard time believing that the two aformentioned paramedics lied about their experience that day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimi Hendrix Discussion Forum Index -> Jimi Hendrix Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: