Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index

Johnny A. Discussion
The Official Johnny A. Discussion Board

www.JohnnyA.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions for Johnny A. - please post them here!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index -> Johnny A. Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deniss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on when that instructional DVD is coming out? I don't play guitar, but if it has some good footage of his live performance, I'd get it!
chrisa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Johnny A. Instructional DVD Reply with quote

I asked John about that this weekend and he related the DVD was schedulded for release in late August, or early September. Just be aware that that kind of project is complex and the dates can slip. Keep watching www.johnnya.com for news and the JAR www.steelpots.com/jar.htm as well. Hope this helps
deniss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question. I think one of the CDs says that Johnny plays a lap steel guitar? Since the sound of his JA Gibson Custom is so diverse, as I experienced live, I don't think I can tell where he's using different guitars, not being a guitar player at all. So in which songs does he play a steel guitar on the CDs? Does Johnny play slide also?
Jazzabilly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions for Johnny A. - please post them here! Reply with quote

It's safe to say that Johnny A. does an excellent job of personalizing songs such as "Wichita Lineman," "The Wind Cries Mary," etc. as well as incorporating many different styles into each song. I was wondering, especially since he's a big Wes Montgomery fan, would he ever consider recording/performing a song like "West Coast Blues," "Autumn Leaves" or even "Cherokee." I'll bet that Johnny would rip these tunes up! If not a cover tune, has his writing ever taken him to write tunes that are strictly fusion, bebop, etc. ?
elle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please excuse me if this is a rude question - or even venturing into sacrilege -
Would JA ever consider doing an interpretation of a Stevie Ray Vaughan song?
Thanks,
elle
lee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. In a recent interview, Johnny talks about how he switched from Fender to Gibson guitars in an effort to distance himself from the Stevie Ray tone. However, that was years ago.

Given that Johnny A seems to do a little Hendrix tribute occasionally, he might venture into SRV territory. That said, and as much as I love SRV, I'd find it hard to think of something that could be interpreted from SRV's work. Much of SRV's material was blues that relied upon vocals. He did a few instrumentals (Lenny, Riviera Paradise), but they represented a small portion of his performances.

Interesting question.
griz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Jerry G? Reply with quote

Another guitar hero of mine, as you can tell from my avatar, is Jerry Garcia. I just got Dickey Bett's DVD and was pleased to hear him start Blue Sky with a cover of Franklin's Tower. Johnny A... if you're reading this... would LOVE to hear you do some Jerry G!

Pat
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would Johnny consider holding a "master class" or guitar clinic in his own Boston area? He did one at Wildwood Guitars in Colorado back in October- how did that go?

Also, what is the set list like lately? I saw him and the band over a half-dozen times between summer-2004 and fall-2005, and there's been little variation from show to show. It's been about 5 months since my last JohnnyA show, and I'm curious if he's playing anything new? [Don't get me wrong- I think he's an amazing player, but I'd like to hear him do different tunes, even if they're his interpretations of existing classics...]

Thanks,
JZ
elle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!
I am always hoping to hear Another Life when I go to see JA- I love that song so much - so...
If the set list for December at the IHorse has room for one more would you consider adding it?? Maybe for one of your encores???
Thanks so much.
See you in December!
Wink
elle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index -> Johnny A. Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: