Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index

Johnny A. Discussion
The Official Johnny A. Discussion Board

www.JohnnyA.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are JA's Collectable?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index -> The Johnny A. Guitar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gitfiddler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Are JA's Collectable? Reply with quote

As a neo classic instrument with many unique features and a distinct (i.e. fantastic) tone, do any of you think the JA will be the collectable guitar of the future?

It looks like just over 200 were made at the end of 2 years. It's not a limited edition guitar, but at least those numbers make for a 'limited' supply of these great instruments.

But are they going to be collectible in years to come?
bclaire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say yes. As the first totally new Gibson signature design in about 40 years, its place in Gibson history is pretty secure. It may be low numbers right now, but it's the most popular Gibson Custom shop guitar period. We'll see down the road.... but I would definitely say it will be collectible. It's collectible right now...

Billy
chrisa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Collectible? Absolutely Reply with quote

Howdy Git, I absolutely agree with Bclaire that these are something special. While I'm not sure if "collectible" is the right word, I certainly think that in comparison to other guitars they are going to hold value much better. Just take a peek at ebay and you'll see how much a second hand Les Paul is going for. Unless it's something very special they can drop as much as 50% in value over just a couple years. In my opinion the JA guitars are the premier production guitar that Gibson is currently producing in the custom shop. I've seen a few for sale and even used ones are retaining upwards of 80% of their value in general. I currently have two JAs and one prototype for the JA and I have to say I love these guitars (i guess that's obvious since I do the JAR website). Sure, Les Pauls, Strats and PRS are great guitars but man...if I was only allowed to own one guitar it would be a JA with a Bigsby. It's so versatile. That's my two cents. Hope you guys are doing great!
griz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: git geets Reply with quote

Versatility is what I'm looking at the JAs for.. What is your opinion of the extra git-geets it takes to get a quilted top or natural??
It may take from a few hundred to a grand of git-geets to get an upgraded model... I'm leaning toward it's not worth it. I think even the "Base" models are going to retain their value a long while.
Whadoyathink??

As for collecting. I have a friend who bought 10 (TEN!) PRSs that he put in the closet. He swears they will get his kids through college. They DID increase quite a bit but how many PRSs are there! and how many JAs??

Getting close to joining this elite club!!
chrisa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Value vrs Finish Reply with quote

I'm not sure the difference in price really is worth it from an investment perspective. For example, let's say vintage Byrdland guitars from the early 60s (like what Nugent plays) there were far more tobacco sunburst guitars made than antique natural or black. However the price difference between the finishes is only about $1000 or so. Will that remain constant with the JA? Who knows but I think condition and originality is the key to maintaining a value. I mean if you find a 59 Les Paul goldtop that has had alterations done and compare it to a 59 Les Paul goldtop in great shape in original condition the value difference is huge. My suggestion is don't really sweat buying based on investment. Buy what you really dig, honestly, it's only money. If you like the Antique Natural and you'll be disappointed if you get a JA and it's sunset glow, save a bit longer and spend the dough on the natural. You'll be glad you did and you'll cease worrying about what you paid for it after a few months anyway. Bottom line is if you like this guitar as much as I love mine you might want more than one anyway!!! Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index -> The Johnny A. Guitar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: