Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - tone from the tubes
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

tone from the tubes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steev05

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: tone from the tubes Reply with quote

hi to everyone out there in "toneland"

i have a question,
this summer, i played in a open air jazz festival in belgium where the power was really bad and my 2.90 didn't like it!!
i blew a couple of fuses.. so, i changed it to finish the concert and took my plane on the next day to california where i brought my 3+ to John suhr to do his mods.
3 weeks ago, back home, i was really exited to try my "new preamp" but my 2.90 was still blowing fuses after 3 minutes on power..
so, i was pissed!.. i couldn't hear my preamp and took the Mesa to my tech who told me that there was a problem in one tube or more..
since this 2.90 is a very recent model, he told me that there was problems with the new mesa/boogie stock tubes and was better to change them all.
"my credit card loved it!!" but i said ok, so, he put 8 brand new sovtek 6L6 WXT.
now everything works and sounds prefectly, i i finally played this 3+ with John's mods (it's amazing!!!)

i would like to know how different tubes can change the sound and if there is tone specifications on some models.
i can't really tell myself if these sovtek tubes have changed something beacause my preamp has been modified and i'm not used to it yet.
so, if somebody has some references, i would be really interested to experiment with that and look for something different on some amps.

thanks
countandduke

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, different tubes sound.......well different. Not only does an EL34 sound different than a 6L6, but different companies that produce EL34's will have differences in their tubes. Sovtek make good tubes but not really high end ones......

Hope that helps.....

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: