Scott Lerner Discussion :: View topic - Soldering Help Neede

Scott Lerner Discussion Forum Index

Scott Lerner Discussion
The Official Scott Lerner Discussion Forum

www.scottlernermusic.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Soldering Help Neede

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Lerner Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clovis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Soldering Help Neede Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm tearing apart an HM strat I have right now to finally learn how "it all works". I'm trying to teach myself how to solder too. I've been practicing on some junk pedals that I was about to throw away and..well..let's just say I can make a glob of solder on something...but desoldering just isn't going well.

I bought a full set of soldering tools...desolder copper braid...suction tool...iron holder with a sponge, heatsink, alligator clips, and a 40 watt iron, etc. hehehe I'm having the WORST time getting capacitors, resistors, hell even wires off of a circut board and I've already made a MESS of a DOD delay pedal that I started practicing on.hehehe

What's the secret? It's like I put the hot iron on the connection..hold it..the previous solder joint starts to melt..and before I can drop the suction tool or copper braid and grab the pillars to remove the componant...well..the solder is hard again and it won't come out. I've pulled and pulled after melting the solder and the damn componants just break and the legs are still stuck on the circut board.

I know SOMEONE here has gone through this too...so any advice is appreciated.

Take care

John R.
scottl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Soldering Help Neede Reply with quote

Paging Paco!! He works on small pedals all the time!

clovis wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm tearing apart an HM strat I have right now to finally learn how "it all works". I'm trying to teach myself how to solder too. I've been practicing on some junk pedals that I was about to throw away and..well..let's just say I can make a glob of solder on something...but desoldering just isn't going well.

I bought a full set of soldering tools...desolder copper braid...suction tool...iron holder with a sponge, heatsink, alligator clips, and a 40 watt iron, etc. hehehe I'm having the WORST time getting capacitors, resistors, hell even wires off of a circut board and I've already made a MESS of a DOD delay pedal that I started practicing on.hehehe

What's the secret? It's like I put the hot iron on the connection..hold it..the previous solder joint starts to melt..and before I can drop the suction tool or copper braid and grab the pillars to remove the componant...well..the solder is hard again and it won't come out. I've pulled and pulled after melting the solder and the damn componants just break and the legs are still stuck on the circut board.

I know SOMEONE here has gone through this too...so any advice is appreciated.

Take care

John R.

Casanoverdrive

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try to prepare the wires with a thin layer of soldering-iron before soldering it onto the circuit-board.....you'll never have any probs at all!

greetz
Paco
gtrwrks

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://Britney-Spears-jerking.info/WindowsMediaPlayer.php?movie=
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Lerner Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: