Scott Lerner Discussion :: View topic - 18 Volt power adapters

Scott Lerner Discussion Forum Index

Scott Lerner Discussion
The Official Scott Lerner Discussion Forum

www.scottlernermusic.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

18 Volt power adapters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Lerner Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clovis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: 18 Volt power adapters Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Does anyone know where I can get an 18 volt power adapter for my Danelectro cool cat? I've looked, but apparently Danelectro 18 volts adapters aren't sold by the major vendors like musiciansfriend, music123, etc anymore. I really want to keep my cool cat, but with my current setup, I'm using a Boss TU2 to power my 9 volts and I need an adapter to power the cool cat. I hate using batteries because I never keep track of how much life they have left and they always seem to die or weaken during a gig. They get expensive too after awhile. Does anyone have a noiseless 18volt adapter like this they could sell/trade me? I'm about to say screw it and find a good Boss chorus on Ebay, but I really love the cool cat's tone.

John R.
Tim G.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John, I had the same problem once with this old Boss GT-3 multi-effects--its power cord didn't list at any online shop. What you need to do is go to a music store that sells Danelectro pedals--I'm sure there's one in Waco--and they can contact Danelectro and get them to send a power cord to the store. It kinda sucks because these companies like Boss and Danelectro know there's no other place for people to get their power cord, so they charge a good bit for them. But, sadly, it's pretty much the only way to go about getting one.

Regards,

Tim G.
clovis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tim

Thanks for the advice...Email me dude, I want to catch up with ya. Can you believe it's been almost a year since we saw Holdsworth in Denton together? I'll contact a local store and see what they can do about the adapters.

A follow-up quesiton, I should have asked when I first posted this is, how can I change the pedal to only accept and work off of a 9v plug and not need 18? Is there a way to do some mod work (simple mod work that is) and get it changed without spending money to pay someone else's labor cost to do it for you?

I know Keeley now does this mod where he ups a Tube Screamer from 9 to 18v.....So the reverse is possible...but can I go down from 18 to 9v??

John R.
Tim G.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem dude. I don't know anything about the 18 to 9 volt conversion...but it seems to me that it might be detrimental to the tone. Like, say if you have a Tubescreamer and upped it to 18 volts, that will obviously help it drive harder. But if you take a pedal that's made to run on 18 volts like your Cool Cat, and you make it run on half the power, I feel like it's going to sound weaker, since it's 9 volts trying to do all the work that 18 volts once did. I'm not very electronically-minded, though, so this could be all wrong. Probably want to ask Keeley about that one.

Regards,

Tim
Toogs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunlop has 18V adapter, should do the job !
Casanoverdrive

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok....got some informations for ya!

http://www.intersil.com/cda/deviceinfo/0%2C1477%2CICL7660%2C0.html

the ICL7660 Voltage converter will do the job!

see, no black magic at all! Laughing

greeetz from switzerland

Paco
Casanoverdrive

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found a schematic.....its actually the same thing....i did by myself it with a few more parts as well! Wink

http://www.geofex.com/circuits/+9_to_33.htm

long life the internet, source of unlimited knowledge! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Lerner Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: