Scott Lerner Discussion :: View topic - Eminence Wizard VS. Celestion G12H for Rivera Venus 6 combo?

Scott Lerner Discussion Forum Index

Scott Lerner Discussion
The Official Scott Lerner Discussion Forum

www.scottlernermusic.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Eminence Wizard VS. Celestion G12H for Rivera Venus 6 combo?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Lerner Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Lerner Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manleyf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Eminence Wizard VS. Celestion G12H for Rivera Venus 6 combo? Reply with quote

Hi Scott-

I recently purchased the new Rivera Venus 6 Class A combo, and it came with the Celestion G12H 30 watt speaker.

I noticed a high pitched buzz right away, and the shop I got it from determined that it had a defective speaker. Rivera is sending a new replacement speaker, but I was wondering if I should consider a higher wattage speaker for it.

Its 35 watts class A, and the amp tech and sales guy at the shop pointed out that a 30 watt speaker will be getting pushed pretty hard in that amp, especially since I play with quite a bit of bass, in a jazz/fusion/blues style very similar to your approach.

I was considering a Carr Vincent, and noticed that it comes with the Eminence Wizard, and that the Wizard is marketed as a higher power handling alternative to the Celestion G12H. The shop carries Eminence speakers, so I can get any Eminence speaker put in it if I choose at no additional charge, but the sales guy also cautioned me 2nd guessing Paul Rivera's decision on that speaker for that amp, noting that he does nothing by chance.

I'm looking for excellent fat clean tone, with lots of overtones and warmth, as well as a great lead tone, again, tones that are similar to what you are achieving with your Fusch amps. I know its tricky to make a call with out hearing the Venus 6 combo in person, but based on your experience with the Eminence speakers and the Celestion Vintage 30 heritage (assuming you've heard this speaker) - do you think I should go for a Wizard or something similar?

Also, I saw your post regarding Wizards and you mention cone cry- what it this characteristic that your are describing?

One more question, is the Fusch that you play class AB?

Thanks in advance for any opinion you have time to post Scott!
Manley

PS: I welcome any one who has an opinion or answer to my questions! Thanks!
scottl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Manley,

Send me an email off board. I have some stuff laying around that you can try.

Scott
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Lerner Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Lerner Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: